Part 2 of Time to Bloviate will wait until tomorrow, as yesterday the LSU coaches released a depth chart, and it's time to talk about it. Try as I might, I could not find any kind of a graphical rendition of the depth chart except this one at Tigerbait, which is incomplete.
- As expected, the unofficial depth chart did not name a starting QB. What's more, Les Miles said he expects all 3 to play. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that by the end of the season Jordan Jefferson will be getting the 2nd most snaps of all the QBs. I just don't know who'll be getting the most.
- Also as expected, Keiland Williams, Charles Scott, and Richard Murphy were named co-starters at running back.
- Terrance Toliver was named the starter at the 3rd receiver position, which is to say he appears to have won the job as the #3 receiver. Don't be fooled by the fact that he does not appear on that depth chart as shown. He's the #3 guy, and he'll play a lot. That chart shows the #1 and the #2 and shows who is backing up them.
- Mitch Joseph is listed as the #2 tight end.
- True Freshman Greg Shaw appears to have won the battle to be the #2 left tackle behind Ciron Black, a position formerly held by Jarvis Jones. For the 2nd straight year, a true freshman is going to be our backup left tackle.
- As expected, Patrick Peterson is the backup cornerback behind Jai Eugene, and with the expected rotation there, he could play quite a bit even if he doesn't overtake the starter.
- Chad Jones is listed as backup safety, but again expect him to stay on the field for most plays.
- Ryan Baker is the third true freshman to make it to the 2-deep, as he will be the backup weakside linebacker, behind Kelvin Sheppard.
- Les Miles says he expects a lot of true freshmen to play, especially on special teams.