Wrote a preview piece for another site that I'll link to if it's up tomorrow. So with that in mind, I'll have more discussion manana, but for the time being:
We're two point favorites now. The Wynn injury throws a big wrench in things. I don't like being favored on the road against a Top 5 team, no matter who's missing.
Well, the team knows a loss this weekend likely means a BCS exit for us. Great. So, let's make sure to do something.
Lots of tidbits in this preview piece from the Advocate. I'm ready for us to just open up the passing floodgates versus Florida. We often congratulate coaches for sticking with the run in the second half of a game in which it hadn't been working, and they go on to pull out a victory. So, too, do we need to congratulate those coaches who understand when to give up on something that isn't working and commit to a game plan that actually is working, and pull out the victory because of that. Meanwhile, Will Arnold's probably not going to play. That sucks. This means Herman Johnson, the biggest baby born in Louisiana history, will start.
I just feel bad for Mississippi State. To wit, this quote from Les Miles after we shredded them:
Couple stats for your perusal:
- JaMarcus Russell is 2nd in the nation in passing efficiency.
- The defense is 1st in the nation in yards, and 2nd in the nation in scoring. Note that Florida's fourth on the scoring list (among the 4 SEC teams at the top), and 13th in total defense. (Maybe I'm stupid, but is there no link on the ESPN stats page to team defense?)
- We're also 10th in the nation in scoring offense
- One of my favorite stats: We are 5th in the nation in third down success rate. Florida is sixth.
- We have returned four kickoffs all year, tied for last in the country. Hah!
- We're 24th in the country with a +4 turnover margin this year, and Florida's 82nd at -2.
- We're (gasp!) 86th in opponent penalty yards per game. How are we not more intimidating? At least Florida's 89th.