I know I'm a bit late with this one, and it won't be a long update. Simple facts:
- Louis Coleman is an outstanding pitcher, but he didn't have it last night, giving up 7 runs in 7 innings. I'm confident he'll bounce back.
- Lost opportunities to score runs in the early going really cost us. We got two runners on base in each of the first three innings without pushing a single run across. "Timely hitting" may be a statistical myth, but we sure lacked it in the early going last night.
- Schimpf, Mahtook, and Dean were a combined 1 for 13 on the game. Dean's hit was huge, or at least could have been, but that's just not getting it done overall.
- Let's hear it for Austin Nola. He's had two consecutive 2-hit games, and last night he hit a home run and drove in another run in the 9th. He's been big this series at the plate.
- It actually looks like the bullpen may be coming around. Paul Bertuccini and Chris Matulis pitched two scoreless innings and Matty Ott probably gets out of the 9th inning if not for...
- Tyler Hanover's worst defensive game ever. He committed two errors in the field, including an error on a ball that may well have ended the 9th inning before MSU pushed over the winning run.
- Give credit to the Mississippi State starting pitcher, freshman Nick Routh, who was outstanding most of the night until he was left in the game too long, pitching into the 9th inning.
- Despite the loss by LSU, Florida was officially eliminated from the SEC race, as they fell to Kentucky 8-7. Ole MIss pulled into a tie with LSU for the conference lead with a late rally to beat a reeling Arkansas team. We still hold the tie-breaker with Ole Miss. The Alabama-Auburn contest was suspended due to lightning with Auburn leading 3-1 in the 4th inning. A win by Alabama would put them within a half-game of LSU and Ole Miss. This means we need to win today, assuming the game is not rained out. The forecast is calling for thunderstorms. A rainout could be disastrous for us, as Ole Miss could then have an opportunity to win the conference with a win over Arkansas.