1. FUN BELT FUN BELT FUN BELT FUN BELT. I love the chaotic brand of football the Sun Belt brings to the table. Second only to the MAC in terms of mid-major fun, it's always great to watch Sun Belt football.
2. One should be cautious enough to not get Sun Belted, however. It has happened to teams throughout this land, and no one wants to be one of those scalps. Given how LSU played a competent Sam Houston State team, I don't think this will be an issue.
3. And, to be honest, there's not a lot LSU should change from last week either. Defense should stay the course; maybe give the first team guys more work to knock off any lingering rust before State. Offense? Take what the defense gives you and execute. I'm not going to complain about Jennings or Harris throwing the deep ball to Dural if it's there. Some teams just like to play single coverage on very, very fast receivers who can outrun their DBs. Some teams like to shoot themselves in the foot. How are these related? Both teams are coached by Houston Nutt. You are not surprised.
4. Hahahahahahahahahahaahhahahaha it's still funny.
5. On to some non-game game notes from last week. It was nice to take the newest iteration of Tiger Stadium out for a test drive. The new wrinkles, such as painting the sideline borders purple and gold, are little nuances that I love to see. Our new north end zone video board [SPONSORED BY COCA-COLA CORPORATION] had some issues tracking down and distance, but things like that happen when you're breaking a new stadium in. I'm sure they'll have the issue resolved and a new one will pop up, like bats living in the housings for the stadium speakers or something.
6. I loved the cut-ins to other games during TV timeouts. Georgia had done this during the game in Athens last year, and it was my favorite part of their "fan experience" or whatever you want to call it. Even though they only cut to Auburn-San Jose State and Ole Miss-Vanderbilt, and the screens should have started spraying blood when they did, it's just nice to know that it's there.
7. I moved from my new seats in the south end zone to the north end zone at halftime to get a look at the new expansion, which is as imposing as this picture the Tiger Rag guys posted would lead you to believe. I'm not sure when I first saw concepts for the new real estate in the south end zone (I think it was 2010), but it was really jaw-dropping to take a step back and say "wow, it's actually here. And it's awesome."
8. I sat at the top of the lower bowl in the north end zone for much of the second half, basically right under the scoreboard. You can imagine my surprise when I could hear the band behind me as they played. I am firmly anti-microphone when it comes to the band. I will harrumph about this all season I'm sure, and LSU won't change it.
9. My anger for the band being mic'd up disappeared on Malachi Dupre's touchdown grab. As beautiful of a throw and catch and you'll ever see.
10. I really hope ULM breaks out the Realtree uniforms for this game. Since LSU is wearing purple, the Warhawks breaking out the camos would set a qualitative record for "weirdest uniform matchup ever." I'm all about weird. Todd Berry frequently lined up two quarterbacks in the same offensive package. He's all about weird too. Both teams have the opportunity to make something beautiful on Saturday. Let's hope they do.