Not a lot of talk about the loss to Bama. Wont talk about moral victories, but was proud of the performance, even in a loss. Complements the size of Arkansas’ O-line, their depth at running back, and the 3-4 defense of Paul Rhoads. Coach O also acknowledges the biggest challenge of the week is getting the team refocused after the loss.
On to questions:
- Said he was happy with the protection the QB got on the long balls, but it’s on the QB and the WRs to make those plays happen. Some balls were underthrown, others were just dropped.
- Re-iterated that until Brennan is beating out Etling in practice, Etling will remain the starter
- On Brennan getting playing time going forward:
“Danny is our starting quarterback, and Danny's done a good job for us. We're going to finish the season. Danny is our quarterback. Myles would have to beat Danny out on a play-by-play basis in practice. He'd have to play better than he would in a game. He hasn't done that yet. I would not give Myles the starting quarterback job just to get ready for next year. We've got a lot of things to play for. We're thinking one game at a time, and we want to have a very good year. For right now, Danny's our quarterback.
Myles can go in any time, but Danny would have to be not executing the game plan. He would have to go to maybe two series not doing the things that Matt wants him to do, and then obviously at the end we felt that we wanted Myles to get a shot. That Danny wasn't playing that well at the end and wanted to give Myles a shot. But it could happen. It could happen a second series or third series, but Danny hasn't warranted that yet.”
- Said DJ Chark could have caught a few more balls on punt return, but it wasn’t all on him. They were scheming for punt blocks that weren't successful, which meant Chark didn’t have a lot of return coverage help.
- Was proud of the effort and improvement in the Offensive Line. Felt like LSU was getting a push on both sides of the line in this game
- The Darrel Williams Wildcat play was something they installed on the bye week.
- Lowell Narcisse is healthy or the first time in a while and has lost some weight. He’s done a good job running the scout team and they’re looking forward to him competing for the starting spot once bowl practice comes around
- Will prepare to see both Brandon Allen and Cole Kelley at the QB spot (Allen is rumored to be returning from injury this week)
- No injury updates (he wasn’t asked either)
- Final word on the Bama game:
No regrets. Let me say this, I'm with those guys, man. They gave us every ounce of energy that they had, and that's going to happen. It's football. You know, I have no regrets in this football game, not one. I was so proud of everything that they gave.