Day one of training camp is in the books for LSU, and while the day mostly consisted of a walk-throughs and meetings, the Tigers did get out on the field this afternoon:
101 days since the Tigers last took the field as a team— LSU Football (@LSUfootball) August 1, 2017
Day One of Fall Camp - ✔ pic.twitter.com/2uA8Ny8E8C
First among the news items of the day was a bit of a changeup, namely that the Tigers will sport two No. 18s this season, with fullback John David Moore joining defensive lineman Christian LaCouture in the leadership honor.
“When it came out, I knew it was down to me and J.D. J.D. is such a class act that he came and congratulated me. With Coach O coming in and shaking things up, I thought let’s shake up this tradition. He’s such an unselfish guy. J.D. has all the traits that come with 18, if not more. Coach O thought it was a great idea because he thinks J.D. deserved it as well.” — LaCouture to reporters.
As for Coach O’s post-practice press conference:
.@Coach_EdOrgeron met with the media following the opening day of camp.— LSU Football (@LSUfootball) August 1, 2017
News and notes:
- Offensive tackle Maea Teuhema is working on “academic stuff” and not practicing at the moment. That would be a huge loss for an offensive line that is very thin as it is. Orgeron listed the offensive line depth chart as follows:
LT: KJ Malone, Austin Deculus, Saahdiq Charles
LG: Garrett Brumfield, Ed Ingram
C: Will Clapp
RG: Lloyd Cushenberry/Donavaughn Campbell
RT: Toby Weathersby, Jakori Savage
Swing man: Adrian Magee
- Five-star freshman Jacoby Stevens will be starting out on offense for now — "We need depth at receiver. He's a talented guy. He makes play. Although we feel like he could be a very good defensive player, we're going to try him out on offense and I believe he can play very fast on offense and help us."
- That’s a very interesting move for Stevens, that probably says as much about Grant Delpitt and Todd Harris as anything. Stevens did play some receiver in high school, and was reportedly very impressive on offense in Under Armour All-Star practices.
- Defensive end Sci Martin is limited to running lifting after an injury in spring practices. Tight end Jamal Pettigrew is a full go after his own spring injury.
- Arden Key is practicing and doing individual work while he rehabs his shoulder.
- Connor Culp and Jack Gounsolin are currently competing for place-kicker.