1. Memphis, Memphis, Memphis, Memphis
The number of Group of Five undefeated teams is now zero. Although SMU arrived in Memphis with an impressive 8-0 record, they left with a 54-48 loss to the Tigers. Both teams were good through the air, with Brady White from Memphis and SMU’s Shane Buchele each throwing for over 350 yards and three touchdowns.
2. Dawgs on top.
It was a rough few weeks for Georgia, but a tough win against Florida propelled UGA to the top of the SEC East standings. Perhaps the only negative from the win is that Georgia should have scored more points seeing as how they went 12-18 on third downs.
3. Hangin around out west.
In a bit of a surprising twist, the Pac-12 has two potentially strong teams in Utah and Oregon. Both also picked up impressive road wins over the weekend. Oregon whooped USC 56-24 and outscored the Trojans 56 to 14 over the final three quarters. Utah had its own impressive win, defeating Washington 33-28, despite trailing midway through the third quarter.
1. Little Red
It might be another year before Scott Frost gets things going at Nebraska. This week the Huskers dropped a 31-27 contest to Purdue. Despite taking a three point lead with under five minutes remaining, the Boilermakers went on an 82 yard drive, scoring the go ahead touchdown with just over a minute remaining in regulation.
2. Struggle in South Bend
Coming off an embarrassing loss to Michigan, Notre Dame still has some issues on offense, despite beating Virginia Tech 21-20. Virginia Tech led for most of the second half, until an Ian Book 7-yard TD run with twenty nine seconds left gave Notre Dame the lead.
Miami-Florida State was a great rivalry, many years ago. In the latest installment, Miami went into Tallahassee and throttled the Noles 27-10. The loss was so bad that FSU opted to fire Willie Taggart not even two full seasons into his time as head coach.
208 yards on the day. Chuba Hubbard is a damn good player, friends. pic.twitter.com/eXiFAAoAnN— Dean Straka (@DWStraka49) November 2, 2019
Maryland's kicker with a poor tackle attempt on this Michigan kick return touchdown pic.twitter.com/4KA6ZcEub5— Sporting News (@sportingnews) November 2, 2019
- The other Group of Five school to join the one loss category is Appalachian State, falling to Georgia Southern 24-21.
- A team possibly sneaking up on folks: Navy. The Mids went to 7-1 after hammering UConn 56-10 and are percentage points ahead of Memphis as the first place team in the AAC west.
- Auburn must have left some of its offense in Baton Rouge as the Tigers only squeaked by Ole Miss 20-14. The underlying numbers suggest a game that should have not been nearly as close, with Auburn winning the time of possession battle and posting nearly double the total yardage of the Rebels.
- Boston College put up a 34 point second quarter in its 58-27 win over Syracuse.