What’s more American than Turkey, Apple Pie, and Alabama Special Teams blunders over Thanksgiving weekend? In the latest installment, the Tide missed what would have been a game tying field goal with under two minutes remaining in regulation. A few plays later, the Tide got caught with too many men on the field when Auburn ran a sneaky punt formation, securing the Tigers 48-45 victory.
2. What Rivalry?
Although it has been defined as the ultimate rivalry in college football, the Ohio State-Michigan games have been anything but over the last few seasons. The 2019 version continued that trend as the Buckeyes won 56-27 in Ann Arbor. Jim Harbaugh did his part in the win as well with a conservative offensive attack, frequently settling for field goals.
3. It’s been a while
Not since 2003 had Virginia topped Virginia Tech in football. That streak is over. It was a back and forth game with UVA taking a lead into the half only to be trailing entering the fourth after 21 Hokie points in the third quarter. The Cavaliers responded with 19 fourth quarter points, including the game clinching fumble recovery in the endzone, topping VaTech 39-30.
1. The Gold Standard
It was an Egg Bowl to remember and only needs to be summarized by a selection of plays on the final Ole Miss drive with the Rebels trailing 21-14
- 3 & 10 - Ole Miss Penalty, Ineligible Receiver Downfield
- 3 & 15 - Ole Miss sack
- 4 & 24 - Ole Miss 57 yard pass
- 4 & 4 - Mississippi State Penalty, Offsides
- 1 & Goal - Ole Miss Penalty, Ineligible Receiver Downfield
- 1 & Goal - Mississippi State Penalty, Pass Interference
- 3 & Goal - TD Ole Miss, followed by an excessive celebration penalty for Elijah Moore for lifting his leg up like a dog using the bathroom, 15 yard penalty enforced on the extra point.
- Missed PAT attempt.
2. Big (Bad) Red
In spite of what had been a mostly disappointing season, Nebraska had a chance to at least make a bowl with a win. That would not be in the works as an Iowa field goal as time expired gave the Hawkeyes a 27-24 win.
3. Rotten Apple
It was another loss for the Mike Leach led Cougars against in-state rival Washington. The final score, 31-13 was an ugly one considering the narrow disparity in total yardage and WSU having the ball for roughly ten more minutes than the Huskies.
Retweet, like, comment.... this is history. Roe Farris II notched the first-ever 100-yard interception return for a touchdown by #HawaiiFB. What a way to leave a mark on Senior Night! pic.twitter.com/dgx3Vhjcy5— Hawaii Football (@HawaiiFootball) December 1, 2019
- From the final score, Georgia did what it had to do against Georgia Tech, topping the Jackets 52-7. UGA was only up 17-7 after the half. In addition, George Pickens, the Dogs top receiver, was ejected for throwing a punch and will miss the first half of the SEC title game.
- Clemson did its part against South Carolina, thrashing the Gamecocks 38-3 in Columbia.
- With Alabama’s loss, Utah seems to have the best path to the playoff provided they win out. The Utes stayed on course with a 45-14 win over Colorado.
- Kentucky absolutely ran over Louisville, racking up 517 yards rushing, led by quarterback Lynn Bowden rushing for 284 yards and four touchdowns in the 45-13 win.
- Oklahoma also kept its name in the playoff mix with a convincing 34-16 win over Oklahoma State.
- In the Big Ten, Wisconsin took home Paul Bunyan’s Axe with a 38-17 win over Minnesota, holding the Gophers to just 76 yards.