1. Setting Up Camp
Wisconsin put the beat down on the Wolverines this weekend, 35-14. It was clicking all fronts. Jonathan Taylor went for 203 yards and two TDs including one on a 72 yard run. The Badger defense was also spectacular, forcing four turnovers and did not allow a score until late in the 3rd when it was already 35-0.
2. UCLA Back?
It has been a bad 2019 for UCLA, until this weekend. Down 35-17 at the half to Washington State, the Bruins would score FIFTY second half points, all in regulation, ultimately topping the Cougars 67-63. Bruin passer Dorian Thompson-Robinson would finish the game with seven total touchdowns.
3. Put Pitt In.
What a difference a week makes. After opting not to go for the touchdown down seven, late in the game on fourth down against Penn State, Pat Narduzzi flipped the script. Trailing to UCF, after leading against UCF, the Panthers opted for an elaborate trick play to score the game tying TD, and then going ahead on the extra point, the final score of the 35-34 win.
1. Game of the Week?
Notre Dame-Georgia was the game of the week and it did not live up to the hype. Even as Georgia won 23-17 thanks to a strong fourth quarter, neither team showed much in the way of offense. It was only a 10-7 game at the half and Notre Dame would finish with just 46 yards rushing.
2. Ooof Pig Sooie
Also on the struggle bus this weekend was Arkansas, losing at home 31-24 to San Jose State. The Razorbacks never led, though they did tie the game at 24 with 2:56 left in regulation. SJSU responded with a 19-yard go-ahead TD run with 1:13 lead, en route to the win.
3. Cant win em all
Both Mack Brown and Les Miles seemed to come back down to earth during Week Four. North Carolina lost at home to Appalachian State 34-31 on a blocked kick. Miles and the Jayhawks lost their Big 12 opener, 29-21 to West Virginia in Morgantown.
Video Potpourri - Picks and Punches edition
- Down in New Orleans, former LSU passer Justin McMillan led Tulane to a big come from behind win against Houston, 38-31. Down 28-14 at the half, the Wave outscored Houston 17-3 in the second half. McMillan’s game winning drive was highlighted by a fake knee and a 53-yard td strike to put Tulane ahead with seconds remaining in regulation.
- Officials took center stage in Cal’s 28-20 victory in Oxford against Ole Miss. The Rebels believed they had reached the endzone with seconds left, only to have the officials spot the ball on the one. Without any timeouts, there was no review, and the Rebels failed to snap a final play.
- You know who else is 4-0 right now? SMU. The Mustangs secured the upset 41-38 victory at TCU on Saturday. SMU led throughout, powered by Shane Buchele and his 288 passing yards with three total touchdowns.
- USC had an interesting weekend. After two sub-optimal performances, and losing starter Kedon Slovis early in the game against Utah, USC turned to 3rd string QB Matt Fink who went on to throw 351 yards as the Trojans upset Utah 30-23.
- It wasn’t the cleanest victory, but Virginia pushed its record to 4-0 with a win over Old Dominion. The Monarchs got off to a hot start with a 17-0 lead midway through the second quarter. A Bryce Perkins rushing touchdown and passing touchdown sandwiched 28 straight Cavalier points, including a pick six.
- Cannibalism continues out west. After securing a win over Michigan State in East Lansing a week ago, Arizona State dropped a 34-31 contest to Colorado, at home. Buff’s passer Steven Montz scorched the Sun Devils for 337 yards and three scores.