Baseball season is truly here. Friday night, the first game of LSU’s 2020 season will be held at Alex Box Stadium. We’re in the homestretch now, y’all. Today’s preview focuses on the Arkansas Razorbacks, who were picked as the preseason favorites to win the SEC West. Joining us today is from Arkansas Fight is Bailey Ward, who you can find on Twitter @bailorboo.
1. Arkansas has made the last two College World Series. Is making a third straight trip to Omaha the goal or the expectation for the Hogs?
Bailey Ward: Yes. Omaha is both the goal and an expectation for us.
2. Arkansas loses Isaiah Campbell from its weekend rotation but brings back sophomores Connor Noland and Patrick Wicklander. Who becomes the Friday night starter and who’s primed to join Noland and Wicklander in the rotation?
Kole Ramage is certainly one to watch! I do think there will still be some adjustments to make that will be more clear once the season really starts rolling.
3. The Hogs bring back arguably its best three batters in DH Matt Goodheart, outfielder Heston Kjerstad and shortstop Casey Martin. Who’s the one bat pitchers will fear most in this lineup?
I would say Casey Opitz would be the one to watch here. He’s pretty consistent and really knows how to rake.
4. Where do you see Arkansas finishing both in the West and the conference as a whole?
It’s always a toss-up at the beginning of the year. Obviously we’ll get a better feel of what’s going on once we start playing, but I think it’s a safe bet to say we will dominate. Maybe I’m biased (I am definitely biased), but I think Razorback baseball is coming in hot this year with a real thirst for victory.
5. Is this a team that can be a Top-8 seed when the NCAA Tournament bracket is announced?
I think it’s far from unreasonable to think that yes, we’re 100% a Top-8 seed team.