Ten days after the SEC announced which two teams would be added to each schools’ football schedules, the conference released the new, official schedule for LSU and the rest of the league on the SEC Network.
The football season is still slated to begin September 26 and when it does, LSU will begin its title defense at home against Mississippi State. LSU will conclude the regular season December 5 against the Ole Miss. Per LSU it will be the first December game in Tiger Stadium since 2001, when LSU beat Auburn 27-14 and won the SEC West. The Advocate’s Scott Rabalais also had this nugget in regards to LSU playing Ole Miss in December
Nov. 28 - LSU at Texas A&M.— Scott Rabalais (@RabalaisAdv) August 17, 2020
Means #LSU will end at home with Ole Miss on Dec. 5.
LSU beat Ole Miss 61-17 on Dec. 5, 1970 to win the SEC title.
So if you’re keeping score, that’s two different instances where LSU plays a regular season game in December and they both end with the Tigers winning the SEC. I’m not saying I’m just saying.
All schools have a midseason bye week, which LSU once again has prior to the Alabama game, and every school has an open date scheduled for December 12 in case a game needs to be moved due to COVID-19. The SEC Championship is now scheduled for December 19th, still to be held at Mercedez Benz Stadium in Atlanta.
Some initial impressions from the schedule:
- LSU gets a pretty generous start to the year. Home against Miss State, at Vanderbilt, home against Missouri
- That should lead to a 3-0 record before the first big test of the Myles Brennan era: at Florida on October 17.
- LSU has to play Auburn and Alabama in sequence but fortunately the Tigers have its bye prior to the Alabama game.
- The month of November isn’t as daunting as the original schedule was. With the old schedule, LSU would have had Alabama, South Carolina, at Auburn and at Texas A&M. Now, LSU has Bama, at Arkansas and at A&M.
- It’s not surprising the SEC chose not to schedule LSU-Ole Miss on Halloween but its nonetheless disappointing
- And here’s a friendly reminder that Evan made a much better schedule